Thursday, August 4, 2011

Completed Portrait

Sofia
oil on canvas, 16x20"
completed portrait

When I complete a time consuming, labor intensive, challenging portrait such as "Sofia", there is a sense of joy mixed with relief when I sign it. I feel drained and happy. The crazy detail on the stairs was important to me; I wanted the busy, colorful pattern of the rug to contrast and yet compliment the simple, solid form of her dress. Something to entertain the eye. At times it tested my sanity. I took deep breaths and watched videos of the old I Love Lucy Show while I worked - to help keep things light toward the end when I just didn't think I could take painting one more swirl of color

It feels good to know that Sofia and Julia each have childhood portraits of themselves sitting on the same stairs - painted from photos of Christmas morning.


Sofia, oil on canvas, 16x20"
Julia, oil on canvas, 16x20"


1 comment:

  1. Bravo! Bravo! Molto bravo! Absolutely stunning. There just are not words to explain the beauty and the talent behind these paintings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete