Thursday, October 20, 2011

Portrait Of A Little Girl: Elena Running

One of the things I love about the Dutch artist, Johannes Vermeer, is that his portraits were often of people doing something. With this new commission I have the opportunity to paint a contemporary portrait of a little girl doing what she loves to do, run!

Tonight I finished the rough sketch with a thin wash of transparent oxide red oil paint. This is always a challenge for me, getting the subject on the canvas with the overall composition in place. I painted the sketch free hand (without the use of drawing aids) and have found that the more I do it this way, the faster and more confident I become.  Necessary adjustments and corrections will be made as the painting progresses. 

I am excited to begin adding color and detail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment