Thursday, October 18, 2012

Visiting Siena, Italy

Often times, it is the surprises in life that are the most memorable. Take my visit to Italy, for an example. I was surprised to find myself there. It was not a trip I had spent months pondering on, but when the opportunity presented itself, I didn't hesitate to accept.

After the late arrival in Tuscany the night before, the plan was to spend a good part of the following day visiting Siena. Walking through her narrow cobblestone streets, our first destination was the Duomo, a cathedral so beautifully unique that I still find myself thinking about it today. 
 
Lupa At The Duomo
3 1/2 x 5 1/2", (sketch book) Ink Pen
Rita Salazar Dickerson 
It was a mild October afternoon. Before entering the cathedral, I sat outside enjoying the view of the main entrance. Breathtaking. This column of the female wolf (lupa), the symbol of Siena, with the two small figures underneath her, captured my attention.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment