Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Commissioned Dog Portrait: Buster

I am enjoying the pet portraits I have been working on lately. This is an adorable guy named Buster. Buster's commission will be a surprise birthday gift for his owner.

Buster
10 x 8", Oil on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson
Stage 1: The composition. With a thin wash made up of burnt umber oil paint and mineral spirits, using a small tipped brush (#2), I loosely drew in Buster freehand.
Stage 2: Blocking in the first layer of color, the underpainting. The background as well as the hi-lights were inspired by the warm, yellow lighting.
Completion of the underpainting. I added touches of deep blue for interest.
Stage 3: Completing the portrait. After I had painted (blocked) in the first layer I took my time painting this final stage. Buster had a lot of personality and I wanted to share that with the viewer.

Each portrait commission is enjoyable and unique with its own story. The one thing they all have in common is the love of the portrait subject as well as its recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment