Sunday, November 16, 2014

Aspen Tree Paintings

I have never thought of my self as an aspen tree type of artist until I took my palette knife out. And then it was a completely different story. A palette knife freed me from so many inborn tendencies to make straight lines and consistent edges with aspens. I also had fun with color and texture.
Vanguard
10x10", Acrylic on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson (c)2014

. Here is a step by step example of how I painted my second one.


Stage 1: Preparing the canvas. Tinting the canvas with a neutral color of ultramarine blue mixed with burnt umber toned down the bright white surface and enabled me to see my colors more realistically.
Once the canvas was completely tinted and dry I was ready to begin.

Stage 2: The underpainting. With this first layer I composed the background with three different shades of blues and purples. I worked quickly to blend since acrylic dries fairly fast even with a paint medium mixed in.
Stage 3: Painting in the trees. I chose ultramarine blue to lightly paint in the shapes of the aspens.

...And then I added a layer of white.
Stage 4: Using the palette knife. Once I had the underpainting of the trees in place it was time to apply the rest of the paint with a palette knife. The very nature of aspen trees gives me the freedom to interpret them with very few restrictions.
Whisper
8x8", Acrylic on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson (c)2014

Both of these paintings will be at G44 Gallery's annual Holiday Show, November 21-December 24. There will be forty-four artists represented. All work is for sale. If you are in the area I hope you can stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment