Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Visiting Northern England: Village Scape #3

The first time I saw Pateley Bridge I gasped in delight. It didn't seem real. Nestled along the River Nidd, this charming village caught my attention. Everywhere I looked there was something interesting to see and explore.

The colorful shops were so inviting; tea rooms, butchers, the bakery, a drug store, clothing stores, restaurants, pubs, art galleries, I loved it all.


Each one served a purpose and had its own personality.

On this snowy, February afternoon I was happy to walk to the village and pick up a few things at the little market/deli called Elliot's. It was cold and snowing a light, wet snow. I tucked my camera inside of my coat to keep it dry but it rarely stayed there. Taking off my right glove to manage my camera resulted in icy cold fingers but I didn't care. Everywhere I looked I felt compelled to take a photo and  imagined the day I would paint this.

Pateley Bridge, High Street
14x11", Oil on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson
The wet street acted as a mirror, reflecting the colorful storefronts. Painting this scene brings back the memories so clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment