Friday, July 5, 2013

Portrait Of A Little Girl: "Clio" Stage 5

Clio
16 x 20", oil on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson 2013
Stage 5: The arms, hands, background...completing the painting. I began this stage by painting in Clio's arms and hands and did not get very far before I realized I had to paint in the background (as well as the white plastic covers of the chains on her swing)so that I could have a better idea of colors and values. The green background started out very light green; the minute I finished it I realized it had to go darker and warmer. There are more colors in the background than it looks like at first glance. Yellows, pinks, blues along with the various shades of green...at times I wondered if I would ever be happy with it. After the background it was time to revisit each section of the painting. Painting wet on wet, the edges of her hair had to be reworked into the background as well as the edges of her skin and dress. Small but important adjustments were made throughout the painting. Now, its time to let it rest and hopefully see it with fresh eyes in a week or two.
This painting reminds me of one of my favorite children's poems, The Swing, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Do you know it?

No comments:

Post a Comment