Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Painting Of A Flower Angel




With all the chaos going on in the world, it was nice to lose myself in this painting of a flower angel. This delightfully unusual commission was an enjoyable challenge not only because of its size, 36 x 48", but also because I wanted to successfully depict in this painting a visual representation of what my client likes: irises and angels. And whimsy.
 
 
Flower Angel
36x48", acrylic on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson (c) 2013
Stage 1: Painting the background. This abstract background set the stage for the flower. Using a large brush I intentionally added drama by darkening the edges while using the colors (purples, greens and golds with lots of white) my client specifically requested.
Stage 2: Lightly painting in the lines of the angel, freehand. Using two previously drawn rough sketches that my client and her husband had approved, I combined what they liked from each drawing and created the beginning of the flower angel.


Stage 3: Painting in the image of the flower and angel.
Stage 4: Before adding the final details on the flower and angel, I had a private little painting party where I threw and dripped paint in reckless abandon. Not really. It was all quite intentional, but the splatters were a bit of a challenge to control. I like throwing paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment