Thursday, August 1, 2013

Snowmass Lake Backpacking Trip

It has been two years since my first backpacking experience into the Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness area. It was time to go again. In my backpack I carried our tent, extra clothing, my paint box, brushes, acrylic paints, water and then some "essentials": hot cocoa mix, graham crackers, marshmallows and dark chocolate. All together it was about 27 pounds. My husband, Robert, carried about twice that weight.
During the second half of the journey, there was a scary log jam to cross. It seemed harmless enough but as I picked my way across, the thought of slipping, falling and hurting myself crossed my mind many times. Getting wet was the least of my fears. Some of the logs held steady, others moved and dipped under my weight. My trekking poles came in very handy. Plant and step. I can live happily the rest of my life if I never have to cross another log jam - though I am quite pleased with myself that I did it. Twice. Coming and going. 
My reward was at the other side, a breathtaking path through wildflowers. I love Colorado!

After 6 1/2 hours of climbing over 3,000 feet, (with several breaks along the way), we arrived at the lake. 

Besides taking tons of reference photos my other goal was to paint a color study. (The next day while Robert fished, I painted.)  Snowmass Mountain loomed over our campground, so surreal in its majesty, it could not be ignored. I will use this study as a reference when I paint a larger, more accurate version.

No comments:

Post a Comment