Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Painting Of A Stream: Snowmass Creek

Years ago, when we hiked Pikes Peak, my son, Adam, taught me the value of drinking water. Lots of water. He would randomly monitor my water bottles by checking them during rest stops as well as when we were on the move. He'd shake one and say, "Drink more. You're not drinking enough." It didn't take long for me to realize that hydration, along with calorie intake on a hike, determined how I felt until we reached our destination.

And so, when Robert and I backpacked in to Snowmass Lake last summer, I appreciated this pretty stream all the way up the mountain. Along with everything else at our campground, Snowmass Creek was beautiful. It was not only our important water source, it lulled me to sleep at night and was the first thing I heard when I woke up in the morning.

This is another painting completed for my Colorado Landscape series and will be for sale at G44Gallery in May!
Snowmass Creek
8 x 10", Oil on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson (c) 2014
Stage 1: Sketching in the composition with a thin wash of oil paint mixed with mineral spirits.
Stage 2: Blocking in the shapes. This underpainting helped me determine the colors for the rest of the painting. 

Stage 3: Adding more detail.

Stage 4: Completing the painting. Once I had added all the detail necessary for the underpainting, I began using more paint and applying some of it with a small palette knife; this was especially helpful with the flowers and their leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment