Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Portrait of a Little Girl:"Mariposa" Completed

I enjoy creating paintings for different reasons. To tell a story and entertain is always my first goal. This composition, with subject matter so unique in comparison to my traditional portraits, was a wandering of sorts off the beaten path.
Mariposa
9 x 12", Oil on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson (c)2014
Stage 3: Painting the hand and arm. 
Stage 4: Painting the  hair, blue t-shirt and background... Working on all three during the same painting session made painting their soft edges much easier.
Stage 5: Completing the painting...the butterfly and foreground. I painted the textured foreground first, saving the butterfly as my reward for getting everything else done. I was excited about this beautiful butterfly (mariposa) from the very beginning. It added contrast, pretty lines and design. And now, with this painting completed, I will let it rest before I make any adjustments. Its always good to let a piece of work sit for a while if you can. I will see it with fresh eyes in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment