Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Portrait Of A Little Girl: Mariposa

In a quiet moment I see large blue eyes intently studying a butterfly. My granddaughter, Sofia, is at rest and watchful. Lost in a period of time, captured by wonder and design. For me is was delightful. Soothing. Inspiring. A painting waiting to happen.
Stage 1: The composition. Drawing freehand with a paint brush I try to portray this image with as much accuracy as possible. Working from a photograph means I have to adjust the proportions that the lens over compensates for. The hand had to be drawn much smaller. It was fortunate that I was able to have Sofia pose for me so that I could sketch her from life and make accurate changes.
Stage 2: Painting the face. Working wet paint onto wet paint my goal was to work efficiently, making every stroke count. Already though, I see changes I want to make. 

I think I'll work on her hair next and then her arm and hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment