Wednesday, February 18, 2015

My Second Corporate Portrait: Part Two

It's always a relief when I reach this point in a portrait. Its time to leave the head alone and focus on the clothing.
Stage 10: Painting the suit coat. Painting a black suit coat with a single light source is a great opportunity to study values. I brushed in the darkest value first. I mixed two parts of Ultramarine Blue to one part Transparent Oxide Red to achieve the black that I needed.
And then I worked in the lighter values. The next step was to blend the lights and darks at their edges to that they transitioned well with soft edges.
Stage 11: The hands. I started the hands by blocking in the light and dark shapes. This underpainting helped me see their shapes in the simplest of terms.
Working wet on wet paint, I then applied the second layer with additional color and values.

Conor McCluskey
BombBomb, CEO
36 x 24", Oil on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson

No comments:

Post a Comment