Monday, August 3, 2015

Beginners Drawing Class

I'm enjoying this new "season" of my life where teaching has been woven into my life as an artist. Almost everyone, it seems, wants to learn how to paint and last November I readily agreed to teach an introductory class to painting. One class led to another and it has been fun watching students find joy and satisfaction in the creative process of painting.

But many eager new artists are unaware of the fact that drawing is the foundation of painting. To become a better painter, one must learn how to draw. Rarely do I meet those who are wanting to fine tune their drawing skills. Learning to draw well requires time, concentration and dedication. And bravery. So I was excited to see such an enthusiastic response to a Beginners Drawing Class. Some were there to revive their love for drawing. Others had never taken a drawing class before but had always wanted to give it a try. After three action packed hours of instruction, I was quite pleased with the results. Students drew and drew well!
Photo credit: Annie Stevens
There were about 36 students that gathered on a Saturday morning in June to learn the basics of drawing.

Photo credit: Annie Stevens
Value scales were discussed and created.

Photo credit: Annie Stevens
And then I pulled out my radishes. Yes, radishes.
Photo credit: Annie Stevens
They were drawn quickly at first and then with more time and study.
Photo credit: Annie Stevens
Photo credit: Annie Stevens
And then, before I knew it, there were beautiful drawings of radishes all around me.
Photo credit: Annie Stevens
From radishes we moved on to hats. I placed a hat at the center of each table and using a single light source, everyone drew the hat in front of them. As you can see from this photo, the hat portion of my class was quite successful. Marvelous hat drawings surrounded me when only a short time before there was blank paper. Each person there experienced the challenge and beauty of creating something from nothing.

I am always moved by the power of art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment