Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Painting Sheep XII: Stages 1-7, Completed

This ewe was in a different setting from my previous subjects and her surroundings humored me. She seemed quite comfortable keeping company with these two chickens; they add a certain ambiance to any scene and in this case, they make me smile.

Once again, I painted wet into wet paint, but instead of blocking it in first, I decided to complete each section as I go. It was getting late and I needed encouragement to keep me going.  
I started with her face.

And with a number 4, filbert brush, I added thick paint to her body.

I felt like I was piecing together a jigsaw puzzle and I needed to complete at least one piece of it before going on to the rest.

I'm really enjoying the palette knife. When it comes to interpreting a sheep's woolly coat, I love the rich texture it creates.
With the basics of the ewe complete, I felt re-energized and ready to complete the rest of the painting.


Next came the background of a lovely stone wall and then the chickens, adding contrast and personality.
Sheep Painting Series Study XII
10x8", Oil on canvas
Rita Salazar Dickerson
 I wish you could see this little painting in person and be able to view it at a distance. The colors and textures of the thick paint seem to work together better when one steps back to look at it. Hopefully it would be entertaining to you close up and from across the room; my goal with all of my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment